Google+
Holiday Crafts & Recipes! Embroidery Tutorials Recipes for Desserts & Sweet Treats Dinners & Sides Tea and Coffeetime recipes! Like Joyous Notions on Facebook! Connect with Us! Contact Us! Home Join Our Blog Hops!
Shop Joyous Home!
The Homemakers's Resource Guide on Joyous Notions

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hand Embroidery - Free Beginning Stitches Tutorial

Back in 2009, I added this tutorial to an online conference we did. I'd like to share it on our blog for those who would like to get their girls interested in learning embroidery stitches! It's a PDF, complete with audio to follow the steps. At the end, there are videos of several stitches, but I can't vouch for the clearness of them. Technology has come along and our Joyous Home website probably has better quality how-to-videos. In any case, you'll get the idea after listening to the audio and following along.


We just started teaching our 4-year-old some of the basic stitches. She has moved from just a line to a flower shape. Most mothers don't think you can start them so young. Long ago, 3-year-olds would learn embroidery! Culture is a bit different now, and that largely affects the skills, and at what age, we start.

You would be surprised how well a young girl can do. We always use a hoop, it gives a lot of control. Start with a simple line, showing them the backstitch. I teach them to 'scrape' the fabric lightly with their needle, from the back, until they hit the line of where they need to be.

Don't expect their attention span to last more than 25 minutes when starting at a young age. Our little one will go for about that long, put it down and come back in a few hours. I hope you're encouraged to give it a try!

Download Embroidery Stitches to Teach Your Girls Here
You may have trouble downloading if you have a slow connection. To hear the audio, you MUST download first, save to your computer and then open in Adobe Reader. Get it here. If you can download, enjoy!
Blessings, Theresa


6 comments:

Jen said...

I am very interested in this both for my daughter and for me! I never took home ec in school and my mother never taught my sister or me how to sew or embroider; but I have always been interested in learning this art and I would love to also have a project like this to do with my daughter. She is only 3 now, but I found it fascinating that a 4-year old could do this. I definitely plan to try this! Thank you for the blessing that this tutorial is.

Unknown said...

Jen, You are very welcome. I hope you give it a try soon! You'll be amazed how they can pick it up.
Blessings, Theresa

Heather said...

Thank you for posting this. I seem to remember having something like it before - perhaps via some videos??? I know I had several saved on my computer and then I lost everything on my hard drive. It's been so difficult to re-build; and I'm grateful to have these lessons!

Unknown said...

So glad you'll have them again. Yes, there are videos at the end; I can do much better quality now, and we have some on our website. I still think after the lesson, you'll get the idea. Hope they help.
Blessings, Theresa

Emily Fay said...

Hello ladies! Thank you so much for this! My girls are so excited to start this. Have a wonderful week ahead ~

Unknown said...

Hi Emily! Nice to hear from you! Enjoy working with them! Theresa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...